[ExI] forwarding tara maya's post: capitalism, etc

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 06:40:32 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ... as we treat animals today, we may well be expected to
>> be treated tomorrow. Granting some rights to animals now, may preserve
>> human rights in the future, when we are no longer the dominant life
>> form on earth...
>

> I've always found this a rather ridiculous idea.  It's equivalent to expecting that our treatment of cats would be based on their treatment of mice.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but I don't find your analogy to be,
well, analogous.

We apparently weren't very nice to Neanderthals... It seems there can
be only one dominant primate in a given area at a given time. The
secret may be to make sure that whatever comes next isn't a primate.
;-)

>From an evolutionary standpoint, mice and cats and humans don't occupy
the same ecological niche... but us and whatever comes next most
likely will occupy the same ecological niche, or at least there is a
reasonable probability that we will.

-Kelly