[ExI] Ethical behaviours

Darren Greer darren.greer3 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 16:03:17 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The fact that there are morally confused intelligent humans isn't really
> that relevant.

Especially if you consider that moral stance may be derived from a
combination of human life experience and biological evolutionary mandate.
Presumably an intelligent machine would not be so encumbered. And I think
it pays dividends to remember that there may be different
kinds of intelligence. Howard Gardener came up with eight, and one of them
was actually moral intelligence. But how do you measure such a thing?
Perhaps a hundred years ago you could have, as we had an certain objective
morality that was a bit like a check list. But moral acumen now requires an
immense amount of sophistication. What seems, on the surface, to be
moral behavior might actually be immoral in the long run. Not to prove
Godwin right, but the Nazi's were a very moral bunch. Shortly after he
seized power, Hitler issued an edict that lobsters were to be killed before
being thrown into the pot, as he thought it was inhumane to boil them alive.

Darren