[ExI] How do we construct workable institutions and ethical behaviors?

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Dec 8 06:29:58 UTC 2011

Kelly Anderson wrote:
>  Consider how things would be
> different if every person working for a corporation had to wear a
> video and audio recorder 24/7, and in the event of some kind of
> corporate breakdown, that recording could be reviewed (automatically
> without human involvement) for relevant information, which could then
> be brought up before the relevant authorities.

This works against deliberate wrongdoing, but a lot of the recent
problems have been due to overconfidence and cognitive bias. People did
things that was eventually shown to be ultra-stupid without any
deliberate plan. As much as I am a fan of transparency, I don't see it
fixing this. In fact, the above system might allow scapegoating people
more effectively without helping them making the right decisions.

(Still, I want to see it implemented in government - any time somebody
proposes an extension of government surveillance powers, suggest this as
part of the package. After all, we must make sure any misuse will be
harshly dealt with eventually.)

> More government clearly isn't the answer. In fact, it is often the
> government that causes the problems in the first place.

I just read Tyler Cowen's "The Great Stagnation" (a quick read,
recommended). He made the argument that we have gotten more government
because we can afford it, due to economic growth in turn driven by
technological innovation. We are unlikely to see much bigger government
simply because we cannot afford it right now. He also points out that
people are likely applying the wrong recipes to solve the crisis, and
this makes the more/less government issue irrelevant.

(His suggestions for what we ought to do likely appeals to people like
us, since they lean heavily on the importance of more innovation, better
globalized spread of clever solutions and higher status for scientists
and innovators)

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute