[ExI] Origin of ethics and morals

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 23:50:43 UTC 2011

On 8 December 2011 15:59, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Related to recent discussions, ethics and morals come out of
> successful evolutionary strategies (where else could they come from?).

Mmhhh. This is more applicable to human *ethology* than to human *ethics*.

How could one otherwise explain the extreme diversity of ethical systems
throughout ages and cultures?

Accordingly, I suspect that we are dealing here with memes rather than with
genes. In fact, a sufficiently powerful meme (say, chastity) may thrive or
at least survive even though it is obviously detrimental to one's chance to
leave behind and abundant and successful offspring.

--
Stefano Vaj