[ExI] is a FTL drive a dream without any physics to back it up?

Joseph Bloch seculartranshumanist at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 01:19:43 UTC 2011

2011/12/13 John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com>:
> A person dared to declare to me that "a faster than light drive is a dream
> without any physics to back it up."  I realize it is purely within the realm
> of theory and conjecture, but I did not think it fit into the making castles
> in the sky category.  This same person made the statement that "we could
> build a generation ship tomorrow."

I would agree about the generation ship comment ("tomorrow" being an
obvious rhetorical flourish). It's certainly possible that such a
thing could probably be done in a reasonable amount of time, say 10-20
years (less if there were some imminent global catastrophe), if there
were a global consensus to do so and a realistic destination. Not a
practical thing, but definitely within the realm of possibility.

Joe