[ExI] Ashkenazi Longevity was Re: The Catholic Impact (was Re: Origin of ethics and morals)

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 14 23:59:14 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----

I didn't know you were Ashkenazi. Lucky you. One thing that *is* an Ashkenazi genetic trait is long life expectancies. The Ashkenazi weigh in with one of the highest rates of survival into the centenarian age category. I once met a researcher who claims that one of the reasons for this is that the lipid-micelles i.e. HDL and LDL cholelesterol particles in the blood of Ashkenazi patients are of larger diameter on average than in the overall population, and therefore more resistant to oxidation by free-radicals. He has found a genetic linkage to the I405V allele variant of the cholesteryl ester transfer protein (CETP) gene. Here is a link to what I think is his work:

http://www.cenegenicsfoundation.org/library/library_files/Unique_lipoprotein_phenotype_and_genotype_associated_with_exceptional_longevity.pdf

Almost makes up for Tay-Sachs disease in the gene pool no? But more relevant to your previous discussion is the question can you think of any historical selective pressures for this trait to have evolved? For example do Ashkenazi women typically wait longer before having their first child relative to other ethnic groups?

Stuart LaForge

“Institutions will try to preserve the problem to which they are the solution." -Clay Shirky