[ExI] is a FTL drive a dream without any physics to back it up?

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 01:54:27 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 4:30 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> So in order to get out into space we must prevent collapse.
> This should be our first and foremost priority as a species.

I don't think this is the only choice Eugen. We can collapse in such a
way that most of our civilization's scientific knowledge survives, and
is pushed forward by the (hopefully) wiser survivors of said collapse.

Those wise survivors can get into space and assure the continuity of
our civilization even after a collapse, and they might be in a better
place to do so politically than we are today.

I hope this is the case, as collapse seems rather difficult to avoid
on the current track. Perhaps this could be a side effect of having
watched both 'Contagion' and 'Too Big to Fail' within the last week...
LOL... I'm usually a little more optimistic.

-Kelly