[ExI] Organization to 'Speed Up" Creation of AGI?

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Dec 18 08:42:49 UTC 2011

On 2011-12-18 07:51, Kevin G Haskell wrote:
> There are few organizations in the H+/AGI 'aware' communities that are
> dedicated to the idea of slowing down the creation of the AGI species,
> and Singularity, for the purposes of being "cautious" so that mankind
> isn't destroyed, or in some other way harmed, by the new species that we
> create.

I think that is a bit of misrepresentation. I can only speak for us at
FHI, but we would be fine with faster AGI development if we thought safe
AGI was very likely or we were confident that it would be developed
before AGI went critical. An early singularity reduces existential risk
from everything that could happen while waiting for it. It also benefits
existing people if it is a positive one.

> Does anyone know of any presently existing private organizations that
> are dedicated to the idea of 'speeding' up the development of AGI and of
> achieving the Singularity as soon as possible?

Every single AGI company? OK, there aren't *that* many of them.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute