[ExI] is a FTL drive a dream without any physics to back it up?

Darren Greer darren.greer3 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 15:56:23 UTC 2011

2011/12/18 Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com>

> but besides the distinct possibility that cosmic panspermia, if it takes
> place at all, could be a "natural" process, extraterrestrials may not
> really care for feedbacks as much you and I do...

Or have evolved to the point that it has become unnecessary. If you're
knowledgeable enough about "natural" systems and how they behave, and have
mastered stochastic analysis, you're set. You may have figured out that the
conditions required for life in the universe are stringently alike, and
have further decided that any attempt at exogenous communication with this
seeded environment might introduce added uncertainty into the experiment.

Imagine memos sent out about our probable phase of our evolution and
its characteristics with so much faith in the science and math there was no
need to check it against the reality and no way to do it because feedback
mechanisms were not built in.  Sounds ridiculously unscientific from our
perspective, which relies so much on observation and feedback. You'd have
to have the self-assurance of a God. Perhaps the methods of an advanced
species would seem very unscientific to us. Who knows? But it is fun to
speculate.

 Darren