[ExI] Uploading cautions, "Speed Up"

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Dec 22 15:59:01 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 07:36:29AM -0800, spike wrote:

> I stumbled over this concept some time ago.  If we discover uploading, the
> very natural next step is to want to create as many copies as you have
> memory and computing capacity to support.  Therein lies the trouble.  Do we

Unreal estate is expensive. And there's competition. Do you rent, or
own? What's the bandwidth crossection in your neighborhood?
Network weather good, or much congestion? Relativistic ping ok
or lag from hell? Which timebase can you afford?

> then describe a virtual society by its Keith/Anders ratio?  And if others
> are replicating themselves and I am not, the spike/Anders ratio and
> spike/Keith ratio are actually declining, and that will never do, even
> though I think the world of these guys.  We have spent our lifetimes making
> ourselves into the person we want to be, and we like us.  I like me.  I want
> more like me, if I can create them.

Malkovich much? Not so Malkovich. Diversity makes for more stable
ecosystems.

> Now imagine your local megalomaniac, or the other guy who is even worse, the
> gigalomaniac.  He will be wildly enthusiastic about self-replication, when
> he is not busy maniacally selling his sexual services to women.

Ah, but of which species? Do you Lamarck (with crossover) or Darwin?
Who will win in in the end?