[ExI] Uploading cautions, "Speed Up"

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Dec 23 07:59:46 UTC 2011

On 2011-12-22 16:36, spike wrote:
> We have spent our lifetimes making
> ourselves into the person we want to be, and we like us.  I like me.  I want
> more like me, if I can create them.

Exactly! Even if you subscribe to some model of personal identity that
doesn't put too much value in continuity or uniqueness, you might still
want to have plenty of copies since every Spike-moment on average is a
good thing. This is my reasoning for why I want to have a lot of
Anders-moments in the universe: they are fun for the instance having them.

> Now imagine your local megalomaniac, or the other guy who is even worse, the
> gigalomaniac.  He will be wildly enthusiastic about self-replication, when
> he is not busy maniacally selling his sexual services to women.

He will of course quickly find out that he is competing with himself for
the price of the services... with a shrinking customer market.

I suspect that the truly successful mass-forkers will be people who get
along well with themselves and others, are good at retraining themselves
to be useful for something, and are not averse to conspiring with their
forks to gain advantage. The classic narcissistic megalomaniac will
self-destruct in a grandiose way.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute