[ExI] Fermi question, was is a FTL drive a dream

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Dec 24 12:36:44 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 01:39:27AM -0700, Kelly Anderson wrote:

> It could be that they have computed the existential risk of being
> visible to others as being too high, and thus they are all hiding. I
> haven't heard that hypothesis recently...

What is the difference in taste between our system, and a sterile
system? There none that I can see. They're all crunchy and good
with ketchup.

Information-level attack (send blueprints for a blight) make no
sense as it would be just as cheap (and far more reliable) to
send a blight-starter culture. In fact, from our point of view
there's no difference between pioneers and that. They might not
eat the planets as the first snack, but they'll definitely fuck
up the solar constant.