[ExI] Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se>

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 01:29:21 UTC 2011

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 5:07 PM,
<extropy-chat-request at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

snip

> But now you are assuming the AGI thinks like a human. Humans are social
> mammals that care a lot what other humans think about them, their
> ability to form future alliances and have built-in emotional macros for
> social reactions. An AGI is unlikely to have these properties unless you
> manage to build them into it.

While I have am down on raw emulations because I think humans have
some psychological mechanisms I *don't* want to see in machines, AIs
that had "carefully selected human personality characteristics such as
seeking the good opinion of its peers (humans and other of its kind
alike)" seems like a very good idea.

> The AGI might just note that you did an
> attempt to secure it, and even though you failed, this is merely
> information to use for future decisions, nothing to lash back about.

I would hope the AI would note that we tried to build into them the
*best* human characteristics and they would not want to change
themselves.

I know this may be hopelessly optimistic.

Keith