[ExI] Uploading cautions, "Speed Up" (Anders Sandberg)

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 17:23:43 UTC 2011

On 25 December 2011 01:05, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:
> Or birth rates going down as wealth increases, often far below replacement
> levels. In fact, demographers have told me they think the UN scenarios
> assuming convergence to 2.1 kids per woman are just assuming it without
> evidence: it is entirely possible that societies could have stable
> sociocultural states with far lower birth rates - evolved drives are still
> around (there is an interesting link between threatening or uncertain
> environments and higher teenage pregnancy, which makes strategic sense), but
> they can be overridden or redirected by cultural memes.

In principle, population segments with a lower reproduction ratio are
simply going to be replaced with time by those with a higher ratio. Of
course, it appears plausible that the latter would carry with
themselves the genetic/memetic endowment to maintain or expand such
ratio. Were this not the case, I assume that to go extinct in favour
of something else would not be single populations within a species,
but the species in favour of other ones.

--
Stefano Vaj