[ExI] free will.

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 13:12:46 UTC 2011

2011/12/27 john clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>
> ... I make decision X rather than decision Y for a reason and thus it is deterministic, OR I make decision X rather than decision Y for NO reason and thus it is random. The "free will" noise doesn't have anything to do with it.

As on other subjects, I find Wolfram's rewording of a time-honoured
reconciliation of the paradox (see Luther) quite persuasive.

When you *decide* something, you actually decide. OTOH, the decision
cannot be other than that dictated by your "nature". What makes you
"free" is that your nature can be inferred by your decision, but your
decision cannot be computed starting from your nature unless by
"running" you up to that point.

--
Stefano Vaj