[ExI] how did high heels happen?

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 21:19:25 UTC 2011

2011/12/27 spike <spike66 at att.net>:
> Question: could this behavior be somehow hard wired into human brains?  Has
> anyone any speculations or theories that could explain why a little girl
> would be inclined to wear something that is uncomfortable, impractical and
> discouraged by her own parents?

The first thought that came to my mind is that "high heels" make
shorter women appear to be taller.  Children generally want to be
bigger because the perception of grown-ups is that they get to do
anything they want.  That only grown-up women "get to" wear such
ridiculous footwear might be the allure.  If mom isn't typically
dressing this way as a role model, but mom also isn't the girly-girl
that your 6yo niece wants to be - it could be that the odd shoes are
valued for their novelty in the same way that a tiara would be.

I don't have any nieces though, so I'm really just guessing from the
perspective of basic observations of what you called "inscrutable
beasts."  :)