[ExI] how did high heels happen?

Gordon gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 28 00:08:15 UTC 2011

"Heels grew in popularity during the 1500s to keep riders, both male and female, from slipping from the stirrups.... The simple riding heel soon gave way to
more stylized heels that were higher and thinner in the mid 1500s after Catherine de Medici made them more fashionable than functional... In the early 1700s, France's King Louis XIV (The Sun King)
would often wear intricate heels decorated with miniature battle scenes. Called 'Louis heels,' they were often as tall as five inches. The king decreed that only nobility could wear heels that were colored red (les talons rogue) and that no one's heels could be higher than his own... During the course of the century, a cultural kind of foot fetishism manifested itself in various media..."

Dangerous Elegance
A History of High-Heeled Shoes
http://www.randomhistory.com/1-50/036heels.html