[ExI] Homeless in Hell- A Christmas Story, by Orson Scott Card

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Wed Dec 28 00:31:40 UTC 2011

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011, Ben Zaiboc wrote:

> Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 2:14 PM, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I could not get a response from the server either, and so here is the
> >> Christmas story by Orson Scott Card...
> >
> >Thanks for the repost.  'Twas worth reading.
>

> I beg to differ.
>
> This is little different, the main difference being that the disguise is
> much thinner.

Well, Ben. No offence felt on my side and no offence to you, but I don't
think asking people to do something positive while they can is religious
propaganda. OTOH, if they are more willing to help because of their
religion, kudos to them anyway, because what really counts is helping.

At least, this is what I have read in between the lines. And since OSC is
a writer, he simply had to dress one line in a whole story (this is what
writers do for a living). And if he really is religious (I'm not sure,
don't remember this smell in few of his stories that I have read) - it
would've been a difficult thing for him, putting himself in a different
point of view. If you think it is easy, you should try to write s-f story
putting your narrator in the shoes of catholic bishop or cardinal, make it
acceptable and credible to different readers and so on.

BTW, religions that I have learned about are quite easy on one thing -
there is enough place in hell for all sinners. No homeless sinners, so you
better watch out etc. Or else they will boil you in same pot with Hitler,
Stalin and who knows who.

Allow me to remark, perphaps you are a bit too afraid of religion - maybe
too many encounters with aggressive preachers. They can be funny when seen
from some distance, when one grows enough to recognize this.

OTOH, it may be the fact that I have grown in a place where people - both
religious (mostly catholic) and not (mostly atheists) still can agree on
something because it is a bit more constructive to have things done rather
than drooling over issues (and knowing no agreement can be achieved on
them). So I perceive one's religion as some kind of mental "facial
feature" - if a guy has long nose, you don't argue about him having long
nose, it is pointless, it would be weak of him to change his nose just
because people talk. It is also a bit idiotic to claim that all noses
should be of specified length. Ditto for seeing a nose of thy neighbor but
not yours. Believe it or not, all people have a nose - now, can you tell
what the nose is? Hint: atheists have a nose, too.

No, I was only joking. Atheists don't have noses :-). You don't need to
think about this anymore...

Anyway, I tend to downplay religious differences, simply because I am not
going to allow them to rule my judgement of other people's worthiness.
That way of thinking comes from time when I have learned about thing
described above (doing things is more important than not doing them and
the rest is meaningless long term).

> Ben Zaiboc
> Sorry to be a Grinch, but, well, just speaking my mind.

If you are Grinch, I should have felt robbed but I cannot see of what.
Tell me the truth, Ben, you downloaded a copy of Christmas, did you? You
are digital Grinch, then.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola