[ExI] Oxford scientists edge toward quantum PC with 10b qubits.

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 15:53:15 UTC 2011

On 31 January 2011 21:42, Richard Loosemore <rpwl at lightlink.com> wrote:
> But that is *exactly* my point.  We are not getting tantalizingly close, we
> are just doing the same old snake-oil con trick of building a system that
> works in a ridiculously narrow domain, and which impresses some people with
> the sheer breadth of information it stores inside it.

I suspect that human beings themselves do little else than than adding
half-competent reactions in ridiculously narrow domains one to another
for a very large number thereof.

And, hey, we might well be more optimised for this feature than many
AGI proponent seem to believe... So, an intelligence with competitive
performance in this task, be it even entirely artificial, could end up
being more similar, in its relevant components, to the brains we know
than to anything else.

Of course, nothing prevent us from adding, say, a math coprocessor to
such a system. Or to ourselves, for that matter.

--
Stefano Vaj