[ExI] Oxford scientists edge toward quantum PC with 10b qubits.

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 2 17:34:22 UTC 2011

On Feb 2, 2011, at 11:56 AM, Richard Loosemore wrote:

> Every few months, it seems, there is another announcement about some project, which the press writes up as "Could it be that AI is on the brink of a breakthrough?". Can you imagine how indignant you would be if you saw those same stories being written 20 years ago?

Forget 20 years, just a little over 10 years ago I started hearing about a new thing called "Google" that was supposed to be a breakthru in AI, and it turned out those stories were big understatements and Google has changed our world.

> I am trying to get enough funding to make what I consider to be real progress in the field, but doing that is almost impossible

I guess if venture capitalists were impressed with your idea they were not very impressed, and that's what they need to be before they start betting their own money on something.

> Meanwhile, if I had had the resources of the Watson project a decade ago, we might be talking with real (and safe) AGI systems right now.

Real probably not, safe definitely not. There is no way you can guarantee that something smarter than you will always do what you want.

  John K Clark