[ExI] Oxford scientists edge toward quantum PC with 10b qubits.

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Feb 3 20:56:50 UTC 2011

On 02/03/2011 11:07 AM, Adrian Tymes wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Stefano Vaj<stefano.vaj at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> BTW, what about an AGI able to pass a Turing cat-test?
>>
>> Interactions with a cat are probably much simpler to emulate.
>>
>> And yet, wouldn't this qualify as definitely an AGI project? A cat is
>> a mammal with a brain quite similar in its performances to our own...
> They're already doing this with insect-level AI.  In theory, one could
> just scale those efforts up.  In practice, such scaling will require new
> software architectures (as well as more raw hardware, but that's not a
> problem).

If you are talking brain emulation, emulating a cat brain with current
hardware used for such projects would require many hundreds of MW of
energy.  So we need radically different hardware (perhaps memristors
help sufficiently) to "scale up".  It most certainly is a problem, a
quite large one if you are going the emulation route.

- s