[ExI] sports blammisphy

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Feb 5 21:55:46 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Kelly Anderson
Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2011 1:37 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] sports blammisphy

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 2:13 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> That being said, I have thought of an even trickier trick which would
> allow a human to use chess software and sneaky I/O devices, which I
> will post next time.

Seems all you would have to do is pick a move from one of the twenty good
programs randomly. Or perhaps have a human being picking the move out of the
twenty or so programs to make it look like there was no copying of a
particular program's output. Or even simpler, just pick one move from each
program. It would be an arms race between the cheaters and those trying to
find the cheaters. If someone wants to cheat, I can't think how you can stop
them completely.

-Kelly

Ja, exactly.  That was my idea: get all fifty or so top chess engines, then
let them vote on the best move.  So my counter attack would be to set up a
team and determine what the composite move would be, then see if any human
players match that composite.

Thanks Kelly, good thinking.  That arms race notions was exactly what I had
in mind.  Without that, we will likely face the same phenomenon with chess
tournaments as was seen in postal chess ten years ago: it became meaningless
because there was no way to determine if the participant was cheating with
computers.  Today, the world title for postal chess is completely
meaningless.  The International Correspondence Chess Federation has dwindled
to practically nothing.  I can imagine the same thing happening to
Over-the-Board (real time) chess tournaments as it gets harder to determine
if someone is cheating.