[ExI] Anonymous and AI

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Wed Feb 9 03:16:51 UTC 2011

On 02/08/2011 03:23 PM, BillK wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 9:50 PM, Keith Henson wrote:
>> I am kind of surprised there is no discussion of this
>>
>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/feb/07/anonymous-attacks-us-security-company-hbgary?commentpage=all#start-of-comments
>>
>> It is obvious to me that the (probable) emergence of AI will come from
>> this "group."  The motivation of the AI will be "lulz."
>>
>> Are we doomed?
>>

> Well, if you don't have a website, it can't be hacked.
>
> If you publicise yourself as a security consultancy firm, then you
> should make pretty certain that your internet-facing websites are
> secure. That is not a trivial exercise.
> Which is why so many companies (and government departments) have
> pretty useless security.
>
> A large part of this attack was social engineering, not computer hacking at all.
> Humans are a weak spot in most organisations. You need extra fail-safe
> security to guard against people being manipulated. People like to be
> helpful, like holding the door open for the pretty blonde who has
> forgotten her entry swipe card.
>
> Business laptops get stolen / lost every week with confidential
> information on them. Why aren't the hard disks encrypted? If this
> companies stolen emails contained valuable information, why weren't
> they encrypted?
>
> Proper security is an expensive pain in the ass for everyone involved,
> but you ignore it at your own risk.

It would help if more systems used good biometrics instead of passwords
and cardkeys.  We aren't quite at the place where a simple webcam plus
voice plus fingerprint is good enough.   Or a subdermal chip somehow
locked to your metabolism so just sending the data bits would not work.
Hmm..  Of course that kicks the hell out of anonymity unless your nym
system is secured to said identity and immune to attack and unwelcome
snoops.

- s