[ExI] Lethal future was Watson on NOVA

Darren Greer darren.greer3 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 01:16:25 UTC 2011

>I'm still pissed at Sagan for his hubris in sending a message to the
stars without asking the rest of us first, in blithe certainty that "of
course" any recipient would have evolved beyond aggression and
xenophobia.<

I'm not sure NASA was so happy with the idea either. It was a last minute
thing, and they gave him three weeks to come up with it. Had he had a few
weeks longer, he might have reconsidered giving them the 14 pulsars info by
which they could triangulate our location.

Also, I think gay rights activists weren't happy about the hetero-sexist
Adam and Eve thing. I personally think he should have included a lemur or a
monkey on the plaque too, to show that we had evolutionary ancestors and
they could, in the event of an attack, be called upon to defend us.

Seriously though. Sagan did have a 'blithe certainty' that was reflected
obliquely in most of what he wrote that any civilization that could get
through its technological adolescence intact would have had to get past its
stone age evolutionary programming to do so. I always got the sense that the
two for him were connected. Re-phrased: if you don't evolve past those
ancient brain applets of aggression and tribal dominance, you simply don't
make it past the nuclear stage of your technological development.

A grand assumption, perhaps. But it has some validity. After-all, it remains
to see if we're going to graduate.

d.

*There is no history, only biography.*
*