[ExI] Acceptance Into Math Program

Darren Greer darren.greer3 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 01:34:57 UTC 2011

Just to let everyone on here know.

When I first joined this group I was ashamed at how little I knew about
science compared to the rest of you. I'm intensely interested in technology
and how it can transform us, and for a while before I came to Exi I was
appalled at how little was being done to use it in the proper ways. So I
joined your group and am glad I did. I've gotten lots of good ideas and have
had great amounts of fun arguing and sparring and sometimes actually
agreeing with you all.

Last September though I decided to rectify my ignorance and registered for
three classes at a local university - physics, mathematics and chemistry. I
was pretty nervous. I'm 43. I'm a novelist, and not of science fiction. I
have a liberal arts background. But besides wanting to be able to discuss
things in this group, I also now believe that any writer who does not have a
science background, whether he writes spy novels or technical manuals, may
find him self acculturated in the next decade or two. So I bit the bullet. I
finish my classes in two months. So far my grade point average is perfect. I
actually love the work, and today I found out I have been accepted into a
Bsc at a good school here in Canada. I've decided that my major will be in
mathematics. I like the chemistry and physics, and perhaps I will switch
majors later on. But for now my real interest seems to lie in pure math.

I thought you all might like to know this, since it was you as a group who
help turn an arts guy into (kind of) a science guy. This group does have
tremendous value. Certainly it has had a profound effect on my life. So
thanks. And when I get stuck next year, I'll be calling on you.

Darren

--
*There is no history, only biography.*
*