[ExI] Lethal future was Watson on NOVA

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 19:16:51 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 11:40 AM,  Darren Greer <darren.greer3 at gmail.com> wrote:

(Keith)

>>is an indication that reproduction isn't as strong a drive as we
> thought.<

snip

> I would think, by looking at the Internet and knowing the people that I do,
> that the drive to have sex may be as strong as ever. But the need in certain
> populations to have progeny result from it is reduced. Once again,
> technology, and the relaxation in certain cultures of tribal laws and
> strictures limiting sexual behavior, have influenced the biological result,
> but perhaps have not influenced the drive at all.

Evolution had good reason to build in a strong drive to have sex.  And
in the pre birth control era that resulted in reproduction.

It's also fairly clear to me that there is a drive directly for
reproduction, especially in women.  You only need to consider what one
member who used to be on this group did to have an example.

But it's far from clear to me that this direct drive is enough to
sustain the population.

It probably doesn't matter anyway.

Keith