[ExI] Call To Libertarians

Darren Greer darren.greer3 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 00:00:29 UTC 2011

I understand there are some libertarians in this group.

I am currently embroiled in an e-mail discussion where I find myself in a
rather unique (for me) position of defending free markets and smaller
government. I am a Canadian, and a proponent of socialized democracy.
However, I'm not naive enough to think that full-stop socialization is a
good idea. We tried that once, in the Soviet Union, and it didn't work so
well. I recognize the need for competition to drive development and promote
innovation.

So, being a fan of balance, I'm trying to come up with some arguments that a
libertarian might give while explaining why that system of  could benefit
mankind, especially in relation to the development of technology and the
philosophies of transhumanism.

Problem is, I'm not very good at it. Anyone wanna give my their opinions on
this? I will not plagiarize you. I've already stated in this discussion that
I will ask some people and get back to them. It's not necessary that I win
the argument, but I do think that my beliefs and preferences are simply
points of view, and no better (nor worse) than those of others. This may be
the point that I'm trying to make -- that libertarians are not by definition
inarticulate right wingers or rabid anarchists, which seems to be the point
of view of this group I'm talking with.

Darren

--
*There is no history, only biography.*