[ExI] Time magazine cover story on the singularity

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Feb 19 06:46:05 UTC 2011

... On Behalf Of Eugen Leitl
Subject: Re: [ExI] Time magazine cover story on the singularity

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 01:48:13PM -0800, spike wrote:

>> John the US is doing exactly that.  When anyone points out the
>> craziness of this, we respond with a collective "It doesn't matter,
>> the singularity is coming."

>The last stock market Singularity .bombed quite nicely, as you'll recall.

How well I recall.  I am just getting back to where I was back in those
heady days.

>A lot of people, particularly on this list really thought that was it, and
bought in overproportionally...

We thought it was the technocalypse.  I did anyway.  Then the stock market
crashed.  It wasn't until 9/11/01 that many of us realized we still have yet
another world war to fight, and this one may be worse than the three we had
in the 20th century.

>We've just left exponential phase and are slowly entering stationary phase.
The challenge for this particular culture is to break open this particular
Petri dish while they're still able.

We are able.  The question is will we break out while we are still willing.