[ExI] Call To Libertarians

F. C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Sun Feb 20 20:37:28 UTC 2011

spike wrote:
> ... On Behalf Of F. C. Moulton
>> And just for old time's sake: BEST DO IT SO. Fred
>
> http://www.maxmore.com/extprn3.htm
For those who wondering what this is about let me elaborate.

The phrase BEST DO IT SO was a short hand phrase incorporating the
earlier version  2.6 principles; see http://www.maxmore.com/extprn26.htm
I included BEST DO IT SO for a couple of reasons; one was that I had
already mentioned the "SO" Spontaneous Order as being one of the ideas
circulating in the early days of the list.  And to give an "Ahh I
remember when" moment to anyone on  the list now who was around in the
early days.

Spike provided the link to the newer version.

And since we are discussing history to is important to remember the
other groups and movements which had influences on and often common
participants with the early Exi list members.  Some have already been
mentioned in prior posts such cryonics, nanotechnology and space
exploration.  Another one that had an impact was cryptography in general
and cypherpunks in particular.   Here in the Silicon Valley area it was
not uncommon to see the some of the same persons at a cypherpunks
gathering one month and at a party of Extropians the next.  Topics such
as data havens, anonymous transactions and reputation capital were
common in both.  For those interested in a walk down memory lane there
is a scholarly legal paper on HavenCo published at:
And the author discussed the HavenCo in some blog
postings:http://volokh.com/2011/02/12/prof-james-grimmelmann-guest-blogging-this-coming-week-on-sealand-havenco-and-the-rule-of-law/
http://volokh.com/2011/02/14/sealand-and-havenco-part-i-the-history-of-sealand/
http://volokh.com/2011/02/15/sealand-and-havenco-part-ii-the-rise-and-fall-of-havenco/
http://volokh.com/2011/02/16/sealand-and-havenco-part-iii-why-did-havenco-fail/