[ExI] Call To Libertarians

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Tue Feb 22 18:16:18 UTC 2011

Stefano Vaj wrote:
> On 19 February 2011 18:10, Richard Loosemore <rpwl at lightlink.com> wrote:
>> spike wrote:
>> Factually inaccurate, I would say:
>> Example 1:   Soviet Union (totalitarian) -> Boris  Yeltsin (short
>> interregnum) -> Russia Under Putin (totalitarianism again).
>> Example 2:   Iran under Shah (totalitarian) -> Revolution (short
>> interregnum) -> Iran under the Mullahs (totalitarianism again).
>> Example 3:   Iraq under Saddam Hussein (totalitarian) -> US Invasion Period
>> (short interregnum) -> Iraq under Corrupt Shia Government with Rigged
>> Elections (totalitarianism again, or heading fast in that direction).
>> Example 4:   Germany under Hitler (totalitarian) -> 2nd World War (long
>> interregnum during which GDR was totalitarian and West Germany was
>> deomcratic) -> Eventually United Germany (Democracy).
>>
>> This is really not looking good for your bumper sticker.
>
> I really object to a usage of the word "totalitarian" which simply
> puts together a number of political regimes with little else in common
> than one's possible dislike for them.

Take it up with spike, I was just responding to his comment:

> Chaos is the endpoint not of libertarianism but rather the endpoint of its
> opposite, totalitarianism.

Most people, when pressed, would say that:

  - Soviet Union
  - Russia Under Putin
  - Iran under Shah
  - Present day Iran
  - Iraq under Saddam Hussein
  - Germany under Hitler

... are quite a close fit to the definition that Wikipedia gives for
"totalitarianism":

"A political system where the state, usually under the control of a
single political person, faction, or class, recognizes no limits to its
authority and strives to regulate every aspect of public and private
life wherever feasible".

You think the only thing these regimes have in common is my dislike for
them?  I doubt many people would find that accurate or fair.

Richard Loosemore