[ExI] Call To Libertarians

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Feb 22 18:45:39 UTC 2011

On 02/18/2011 04:00 PM, Darren Greer wrote:
> I understand there are some libertarians in this group.
>
> I am currently embroiled in an e-mail discussion where I find myself
> in a rather unique (for me) position of defending free markets and
> smaller government. I am a Canadian, and a proponent of socialized
> democracy. However, I'm not naive enough to think that full-stop
> socialization is a good idea. We tried that once, in the Soviet Union,
> and it didn't work so well. I recognize the need for competition to
> drive development and promote innovation.
>
> So, being a fan of balance, I'm trying to come up with some arguments
> that a libertarian might give while explaining why that system of
>  could benefit mankind, especially in relation to the development of
> technology and the philosophies of transhumanism.
>
> Problem is, I'm not very good at it. Anyone wanna give my their
> opinions on this? I will not plagiarize you. I've already stated in
> this discussion that I will ask some people and get back to them. It's
> not necessary that I win the argument, but I do think that my beliefs
> and preferences are simply points of view, and no better (nor worse)
> than those of others. This may be the point that I'm trying to make --
> that libertarians are not by definition inarticulate right wingers or
> rabid anarchists, which seems to be the point of view of this group
> I'm talking with.

Anarchist technically means without government.  It does not mean
chaos.  Read Rothbard for arguments why not.  But most Libertarians are
minarchist - minimal government, only the minimum necessary that cannot
be done privately.  They differ in how much or little that is.

The essential element of libertarianism is the Non-Agression Principle.
No one has the right to initiate force against another.  This is
equivalent to total freedom to do anything that does not harm,
physically force, threaten physical force or defraud another.

Right wing, left wing has nothing to do with it.

- samantha