[ExI] Happy Birthday Extropy Email List

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Feb 22 22:10:39 UTC 2011

... On Behalf Of Stefano Vaj

>..Such engagement does expose one to slight embarrassments, but it
wonderfully keeps you focused on avoiding statements you are not ready to
stand by in any court for an undefinite time in the future... :-)

--
Stefano Vaj

Slight embarrassment yes, court no.  The prosecution would need to prove it
was actually *you* who wrote the post.  Having been sent from your computer
is insufficient proof.  I do urge all, if you have ExI-ish friends visit
your home, to have them write something that sounds a little like you and
post it with your signature, then do something to be able to later prove it
actually was not you who wrote it.  For instance, if you visit your doctor
and your medical records show you were actually under anesthetic at a
particular date and time, you could have a neighbor or friend come over and
post some wacky thing.

I myself have been misquoted here, just today in fact, as having written
something that was actually written in rebuttal to something I had posted.
I didn't bother scolding the person who did that, rather assumed it
accidental, with the usual no blood, no foul attitude.

It is good to have provable deniability however.  I have it.  I had the
pseudo-spikes add in a particular code word so that I can later search the
archives and I know exactly which were the faux-spike posts and which were
genuine.  But you don't know that code word, nor do any future prosecutors.
Even with our expert data-miners, I don't think there is any way to figure
out that code word.