[ExI] Watson On Jeopardy.

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Wed Feb 23 15:30:14 UTC 2011

Kelly Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Richard Loosemore <rpwl at lightlink.com> wrote:
>> Kelly Anderson wrote:
>> I am very much aware that he had nice things to say about Watson, but my
>> point was that he expressed many reservations about Watson, so I was
>> using his article as a counterfoil to your statement that "99% of
>> everyone else thinks it is a great success already".  I just felt that
>> it was not accurate to paint me as the lone, 1% voice against, with 99%
>> declaring Watson to be a great achievement on the road to real AGI.
>
> Your turn to misunderstand what I said. I did not say that 99% of
> people would say that Watson was on the road to AGI, but merely that
> it was a substantial achievement that SUCCEEDED at it's stated goal of
> defeating human Jeopardy champions. Surely, you aren't arguing that
> Watson lost... :-)

So the *only* thing you were saying was that 99% of people would say
that Watson [...] SUCCEEDED at it's stated goal of defeating human
Jeopardy champions .... ??!!

No shit Sherlock!  ;-)

I was assuming that you were making some kind of substantive claim, but
I guess you're right:  I misunderstood you.

Richard Loosemore