[ExI] Call To Libertarians

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Feb 24 02:03:04 UTC 2011

On 02/23/2011 08:48 AM, Damien Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 07:32:22PM -0800, Samantha Atkins wrote:
>
>> Do you really think that the government can be involved in healthcare
>> without grossly inflating costs?   With the government health programs
> A rational person looks at the evidence, which is that goverrnment
> involvement with health care reduces costs.

Historically there is no basis for such a claim.  Take Medicare/Medicaid
and take Bush prescription drug plan as starters.  Trillions in unfunded
liabilities.   Since when does government run anything more economically
than private enterprise?

>   Half of US medical spending
> is from the government,  which is covering the older and sicker part of
> the population, at less overhead.  Overall the US spends the most on
> health care, with among the shortest life expectanccies, even after
> filtering out some of our disadvantaged groups.  The most socialized
> medicine in Europe, Britian's NHS, is also the cheapest, spending less
> than half per capita what the USA does.

With notorious and life threatening waits for many procedures.  No,
thank you.

- s