[ExI] democracy sucks (Anders Sandberg)

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 16:17:49 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 5:00 AM,  Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> Jeff Davis wrote:
>> Can we identify the pros and cons re governance in general, and
>> democracy in particular, and come up with something better, or some
>> suggestions, or at least get pointed in the right direction?
>>
> Hmm, from reading your post I think your problem is with the complex
> representative democracy systems we have today. Not so much with
> democracy, just that it is not direct.

snip

> Basically, I think there is no way you can avoid a complex, remote
> government if you want to have a complex big society.

It's a marvel that government works as well as it does when you
consider our evolutionary history.

"Complex, remote government" combined with the drift into an oligarchy
is a formula for disaster.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/blog-post/2011/02/stephen_colbert_explains_anony.html

At this point Anonymous seems to be the most competent group on the
planet.  I wonder if this concept could eventually evolve into a world
government?

Keith