[ExI] a fun brain in which to live

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 27 17:08:44 UTC 2011

Alan Grimes <agrimes at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>
> > Ja.  I still just don't know with so much of
> > this.  I will sadly confess
> > that fifteen years ago I thought we would be farther
> > along by now than we
> > are.  But the singularity is still coming
> > eventually, and when it does, I
> > can imagine no logical stopping place for it short of
> > all the metals in the
> > solar system converted to computronium to form an
> > MBrain, with humans
> > uploaded.
>
> If that is true, then it is imperative that the singularity
> be prevented. =|

Intentionally preventing the singularity (if that were possible) would be equivalent to signing the death warrant of the human race.  We might not survive the singularity, but we damn sure won't survive (in the long-term) without it.

I wonder if an australopithecine ever said "It's imperative that Homo Sapiens be prevented!"?  Well, of course not, but I hope you get the idea.  In general, people want their children to do well, usually better then they themselves have done, even at the expense of their own lives.  This is really no different.

Wishing for the singularity to be prevented is rather like a couple who, expecting their first child, think about how much it will cost them and how it may not grow up the way they hope, and so decide to abort it.

Ben Zaiboc