[ExI] Second-Life dissociation/simulation as an improvement over reality.

Amara D. Angelica amara at kurzweilai.net
Sat Jan 1 05:35:49 UTC 2011

Samantha,

Wow! I'd like to interview a few extreme SL denizens who have experienced
this? Any tips on how to reach them?

- Amara

AA: On a related note, is there any evidence that long-time users of Second
Life experience such dissociation? And is it possible or likely that as
simulation technology improves and becomes widely available, mass
dissociation or psychosis might occur? The effect would be increased by
using high-res VR with full immersion and at least 180 degrees to avoid
peripheral vision artifacts (humans have about 200 degrees vision) and
ultra-high-resolution such as
<http://www.sensics.com/products/AugmentedReality.php>
http://www.sensics.com/products/AugmentedReality.php (4200x2400 pixels).
Also see  <http://cb.nowan.net/blog/state-of-vr/state-of-vr-displays/>
http://cb.nowan.net/blog/state-of-vr/state-of-vr-displays/.

SA: This is a pretty well known phenomenon in SL.  Some describe it as what
make a true digital person - the experiencing of avatar as self and even
physical self as alternate embodiment of avatar.    I used to get strange
effects like the physical world looking more unreal to me than the virtual
world.  But that seems to have been a temporary adjustment period when I was
spending much more time in SL.    Many report distinct person phenomenon of
two persons, one virtual, sharing the same brain.   Personality creation,
living within the creation, is something all humans do growing up (or more
ofter in some cases).   It is not surprising that we sometimes spawn off new
"selves" in virtual worlds as they improve.  It is experienced as much more
than 'mere' make-believe.