[ExI] Von Neumann probes for what?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 17:03:27 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Tomasz Rola  wrote:
> Nono, I think one of us has got this wrong. Isn't it that if they go
> inside the horizon, the "outside" universe speeds up? So the probes move
> among the stars like fireworks of sort. And for us, they freeze.
>
> Or maybe you meant a white hole - they live their days in a bubble of fast
> time, while the universe can only hopelessly wait in pause for whatever
> gets out of this bubble one day. Of course, the pause is from their POV,
> we simply live as usually.

Oooohhh.  It's complicated.  ;)

if you like, forget about orbiting around black holes. My proposal
that a post-singularity intelligence will have a million times speedup
in processing still has the result that sending probes out in effect
means that they will live through eons while the probes hardly
physically move at all. That is sufficient for the argument.

Discussion of time-dilation effects may not progress this discussion much.
(But I'm tempted.......)   :)

(Though it appears that white holes don't exist. They seem to be a
theoretical result that nobody has spotted in reality).

> Or that priorities and expectations change a lot after that. For amazonian
> native, going for holidays to Hawaii is quite incomprehensible, I guess.
> Ditto for buying books and stacking them on the floor because other places
> are already taken. And this is just a beginning.

Agree completely. We are like ants speculating on the motivations of a
being that stomped on one ants nest and left another untouched.

BillKI