[ExI] Fwd: NewBook: The Ethics of Biomedical Enhancement

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 17:59:40 UTC 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: L. Stephen Coles, M.D., Ph.D. <scoles at grg.org>
Date: Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 11:55 AM
Subject: [GRG] NewBook: The Ethics of Biomedical Enhancement
To: Gerontology Research Group <grg at lists.ucla.edu>
Cc: Humanity+ <Humanity at mail.vresp.com>, "Allen E. Buchanan, Ph.D." <
allenb at duke.edu>

 To Members and Friends of the Los Angeles Gerontology Research Group:

        This sounds like our sort of book that will provide us with the
arguments we need
to refute our evangelical adversaries, providing that they are even willing
to listen to reason.

Happy New Year,

Steve Coles

 [image: Beyond Humanity?: The Ethics of Biomedical Enhancement (Uehiro]
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2J0L3N30UDD34&C=3V5WB74W8SL1I&H=BEL3NAZXAPW2ZWOPP5PGH7REBGGA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F0199587817%2Fref%3Dpe_5050_18158530_snp_dp>
 <http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2J0L3N30UDD34&C=3V5WB74W8SL1I&H=BEL3NAZXAPW2ZWOPP5PGH7REBGGA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F0199587817%2Fref%3Dpe_5050_18158530_snp_dp>
 Beyond Humanity?: The Ethics of Biomedical Enhancement (Uehiro Series in
Practical Ethics)<http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2J0L3N30UDD34&C=3V5WB74W8SL1I&H=BEL3NAZXAPW2ZWOPP5PGH7REBGGA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F0199587817%2Fref%3Dpe_5050_18158530_snp_dp>

*by*
Allen E. Buchanan
(Oxford University Press, New York;* *January 15, 2011) *Amazon.com* Price:
$35.00

         Biotechnologies already on the horizon will enable us to be
smarter, have better memories, be stronger and quicker, have more stamina,
live longer, be more resistant to diseases, and enjoy richer emotional
lives. To some of us, these prospects are heartening; to others, they are
dreadful. In* Beyond Humanity *a leading philosopher offers a powerful and
controversial exploration of urgent ethical issues concerning human
enhancement. These raise enduring questions about what it is to be human,
about individuality, about our relationship to nature, and about what sort
of society we should strive to have. Allen Buchanan urges that the debate
about enhancement needs to be informed by a proper understanding of
evolutionary biology, which has discredited the simplistic conceptions of
human nature used by many opponents of enhancement. He argues that there are
powerful reasons for us to embark on the enhancement enterprise, and no
objections to enhancement that are sufficient to outweigh them.
*
About the Author:*

    Allen Buchanan is Professor of Philosophy at Duke University. He is the
author of *Human Rights, Legitimacy, and the Use of Force; Justice and
Health Care; and Justice, Legitimacy, and Self-Determination.
* http://fds.duke.edu/db/aas/Philosophy/allen.buchanan* *

L. Stephen Coles, M.D., Ph.D., Co-Founder
Los Angeles Gerontology Research Group
*URL:*
http://www.grg.org
*E-mail:* *scoles at grg.org