[ExI] simulation as an improvement over reality.

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Jan 2 05:55:54 UTC 2011

On 1/1/2011 10:34 PM, John Clark wrote:

> No, you are entirely incorrect. Even the original can't distinguish the
> copy from the original, nor can the copy, nor can any other part of the
> universe

John, you keep skittering off into abstractions that have nothing to do
with the cases that were stipulated. For the seventy-leventh time: the
question is NOT "will the copy feel as if it's me?" Everyone agrees that
a good enough copy must by definition feel, think, act like me (until
our experiences-in-the-world differ sufficiently).

The strongest form of the evaded question remains: if you, here and now,
have to be destructively scanned in order to build a replica who will
feel just like you, will you happily agree to dying in order that this
copy will go on afterwards?

This can be via a Star Trek transporter or through the ablative scanning
of a vitrified cryonic brain. And the question to answer is: what is MY
stake in being destroyed in order that HE will be created?

I realize that your extremely reductive scientism will reply that this
is a meaningless question because all hydrogen atoms are identical, blah
blah, and I can only gaze at this specious response with astonishment
and a bit of indignation.

Incidentally, it seems to me likely that your libertarianism might have
something to do with how you abstract away from any social context to
your thought experiment. Your spherical cows seem to inhabit a world
empty of any history, honesty, trust, reliable records, mutual
observation, any of the practices by which real humans recognize each
other diachronically and tell each other apart, even if they are
identical twins whom other people have trouble distinguishing.

Damien Broderick