[ExI] Asimov's 90th today

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jan 4 20:07:43 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Damien
Broderick
>> Marvin Minsky and thereafter I would say that they were two people who  I
would readily admit were more intelligent than I was. "

>I suspect it's in chapter 144 of *I. Asimov: A Memoir*, on Heinz Pagels,
that he added Dr. P to that list. But I don't have the book handy...Damien
Broderick

It isn't stated in those exact terms, but close.  On page 470 of I.Asimov
(ch. 144) Asimov comments:

"Heinz Pagels was, in my opinion, the brightest of the shining lights who
assembled at the Hugh Downs dinners.  He also ran the Reality Club, a group
of brilliant minds who gathered at roughly monthly intervals at various
places in Manhattan to listen to talks on the borderlands of scholarship and
to discuss what they heard.  I was invited to join, but I have not attended
regularly... Alan Guth gave a fascinating talk... I heard of the
inflationary universe theory from Heinz..."

When I read the passage just now in I.Asimov, I am struck by how cool it
would have been to attend those meetings.  So sad they were not recorded.
Those videos would be priceless.