[ExI] Meat v. Machine

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 19:54:22 UTC 2011

Been lovin' this thread.  Something on topic may follow.  For now a
little political comment.

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 9:10 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> I see a much  bigger threat from rapidly
> increasing populations of what SF writers
> would call feral humans opposed to technology,

Not to worry re "feral" humans.  They can drag a culture down, but I
doubt they will bring down all of humanity.  Persons of high culture,
intelligence, and (economic) power on the other hand, dangerous.
Feral people form lynch mobs and start bar fights.  Rich cultured
folks build WMDs and start wars

> while the population in advanced
> civilization remains constant or
> declines, while struggling to defend the
> progress already made.

Sounds like you're talking about the US, which may indeed crater --
"the impostume of too much wealth and pe...", well, too much wealth,
then.

The Chinese and Indians will take up the challenge,...have taken it
up, Hoorah!  "Progress" doesn't need nationalism, or any other form of
emotionalism.

> But I have hope,

As do I, and I like rice as well as curry.

Best, Jeff Davis

"We're a band of higher primates stuck on the surface
of an atmosphere-hazed dirtball. I can associate with
that. I certainly can't identify with which patch of the dirtball I
currently happen to be on, and which monkey tribe happens to reside
therein.

Only by taking the big view we can make it a common
dream, and then a reality. It's worth it."
                         Eugen Leitl