[ExI] atheists declare religions as scams.

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Jan 7 00:34:02 UTC 2011

... On Behalf Of Stathis Papaioannou

>...There is no contradiction in accepting a religion but rejecting its ancient beliefs as literal truth. Some theologians take the Bible about as seriously as classical scholars take the Iliad and the Odyssey; that is, they take it very seriously but they don't actually believe that any of the supernatural stuff happened...Stathis Papaioannou

Stathis I think this is an understatement.  I would say *most* theologians, particularly the fundamentalist variety, discount the supernatural.  I might be projecting, but I don't see how they could miss that if they really study the hell out of the bible.

Hmmm, study the hell out of the bible, that has a delightful double meaning.