[ExI] mass transit again

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Jan 12 05:45:44 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Grigg
Subject: Re: [ExI] mass transit again

>...Spike, I ride the city bus on a regular basis and despite once getting
into a heated exchange with one unpleasant & unbalanced fellow, I normally
find lots of decent people (human beings, not "proles") who simply want to
get to their destination without any criminal drama.
And every time I see a young male give up his seat to an elderly person or
someone who is handicapped, I feel there is hope for us all! : )

Johnny, there is hope for all of us.  First of all your comment human
beings, not proles.  All proles are human beings.  Furthermore, they are
free.  Do refer to Orwell's 1984, and if you haven't read it, log off the
computer right now, and get thee to the library forthwith, borrow it and
READ EVERY WORD sir, every single word.  Regarding young males giving up
seats to little old ladies, it is so easy for me to envision you doing that.
Nay understatement, it is difficult for me to envision your not doing that,
even if the little old lady is 27.  Perhaps *especially* if she is 27.  Why?
Because you radiate nice.  I admire that in you pal.

>...Do you really want to live in an "Oath of Fealty" kind of world?  I
realize that was not your point, but it is where you are headed in your line
of thinking...Best wishes, John

It isn't what I want, but rather where I see us going.  The shooting this
weekend perhaps is contributing to my gloomy outlook on humanity, and how it
is being played in the media.  We see political pundits desperate to score
points on a tragedy, when I see no evidence this was anything other than an
ordinary crazy person, of which we have tragically many.

What I want to do is figure out a way to do mass transit which promotes
security, without requiring the hiring of more cops.