[ExI] Reframing transhumanism as good vs. evil

natasha at natasha.cc natasha at natasha.cc
Wed Jan 12 21:00:36 UTC 2011

  [? wrote the following]

>> A while age in college, I was in a speech class where one
>> of the things
>> we did was have a group critique our ideas.  I had an
>> idea to speak
>> about transhumanism, to which one of my classmates rather
>> indignantly
>> asked me why I wanted to advocate biotech enhancement
>> instead of medicine.
>>
>> That's the problem we have.  Even when we're not seen
>> as evil, we're
>> seen as selfish nerds who are utterly indifferent to
>> it.  The sad thing
>> is I find myself almost believing this.  Causes that
>> comedians can't
>> brand as outright evil or obvious spin are pretty much
>> about fighting
>> evil and/or saving innocents.  Citizen heroics,
>> basically.
>>
>> What kind of citizen heroics do *we* have?

Medicine is a very necessary component of human enhancement.  The
person asking you this question was not clear and you could have told
him/her that one of the most beneficial aspects of enhancement is its
ethical and courageous use of medicine to help cure people from
dreaded diseass and tragic injuries.

Natasha