[ExI] Reframing transhumanism as good vs. evil

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Jan 13 11:18:29 UTC 2011

Here is my take on it:

"Good and evil" tends to make discussions about morality stupid, but it
is is important to think about what is good - what is desirable, what
gives life and the world value, even what value is. A good way is to
play the "why game":

Why do we do medicine? To become healthy. But why are we striving for
this? Health in itself is not valuable. But being ill is often directly
painful and indirectly prevents us from doing many things. Health means
not just an adequate bodily state, but the ability to pursue one's life
projects (whatever they are). So a reason to strive for health is that
it allows us to achieve well-being, both the direct state of feeling
well but also potentially the well-being that comes from living a good
life (whatever we happen to think that good is).

Incidentally, remember the WHO definition of health as "a state of
complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the
absence of disease or infirmity." - that is pretty transhuman and seems
to promote enhancement as valid.

Now, if the real good we are aiming at is well-being, then it becomes
pointless to distinguish between therapy and enhancement. We might still
have prioritarian concerns that the worst off deserve the most help or
practical concerns that illness is easier to treat than mere normality.
But both therapy and enhancement aim at the good.

AlgaeNymph wrote:

> That's the problem we have.  Even when we're not seen as evil, we're
> seen as selfish nerds who are utterly indifferent to it.  The sad
> thing is I find myself almost believing this.  Causes that comedians
> can't brand as outright evil or obvious spin are pretty much about
> fighting evil and/or saving innocents.  Citizen heroics, basically.

The problem is that there are relatively few clear-cut evils one can
fight in an unambigious way. And that real attempts of making the world
better often don't look very impressive (consider how most charity works
- it is more about being seen as nice than actually achieving good
outcomes. Utilitarian meta-charities like Giving What We Can look
*weird* to most people - why focus on giving to Deworm The World (yuck!)
when you can give to the local church charity?)

I don't think there is anything wrong with others not viewing us as
heroic. Few of us are. And I do think we should stand up for our right
to be rationally selfish: I love life, and I will do my best to enjoy it
for the longest possible in the best way I can. That includes helping my
friends and strangers, and I certainly hope they also get lives they like.

Many of the technologies we are discussing are not primarily developed
for enhancement purposes (rather, enhancement is a side effect) and
often enhancing technologies show "therapeutic" side effects. It is a
mistake to think that if someone gets better everyone gets a bit worse
off: the world is positive sum rather than negative. If we deworm
Sub-Saharan Africa we are going to reap the benefit of many more brains
that function well, helping both themselves, the region and the world. A
good, safe and widespread cognitive enhancer would save lives (less
accidents), speed up technological and economic development and no doubt
enable many forms of human flourishing - even if you don't take it you
might benefit from it.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute