[ExI] Michael Nielsen on Singularity

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Thu Jan 13 16:59:53 UTC 2011

scerir wrote:
> What should a reasonable person believe about the Singularity?
> http://michaelnielsen.org/blog/what-should-a-reasonable-person-believe-about-the-singularity/

I posted the following reply to Michael Nielsen's essay:

While I am sympathetic to the conclusion you state at the end, I am
dismayed by the argument that got you there! The probability range is
interesting, but not as interesting as the *uncertainty* in the values
that went into it (Bayesian probabilities help you take account of prior
probabilities, but they do not insulate you from the folly of putting
down numbers that are derived from uncertain knowledge). If you were to
factor in those uncertainties (assuming that you could, because that
would be a huge task, fraught with difficulties having to do with the
fundamental nature of probability), you might find that the real range
was 0.0001% < range < 99% …. in other words, "maybe it will happen,
maybe it won't".

I am afraid the real story has to do with understanding the nature of
AGI research, not fiddling with probabilities. Messy. Empirical.
Definitely something that would get a mathematician's hands dirty (as my
one-time supervisor, John Taylor, put it when I was first thinking about
getting into this field).

But in the end, my own take (being up to my eyeballs in the aforesaid
dirty work) is that the probability is "high" that it will happen "in
the next 20 years".

Richard Loosemore