[ExI] Fw: Re: atheists declare religions as scams

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 13:18:02 UTC 2011

Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now, the "scientific" culture really appears to be in conflict only
> with the valorial and metaphysical contexts of the religions of the
> Book. What does, say, Zen claim which would be in contrast with a
> scientific worldview? Ancient Greek paganism? Hinduism?

Ancient Greek Paganism and Hinduism are obviously in conflict with a scientific worldview, as they posit the existence of supernatural entities without any proof.

Zen Buddhism is a bit more tricky, as it's more of a philosphy than a religion, but it still makes untestable claims and rests on the revered words of a long-dead person (who, for a change, probably actually existed, and may not have been mentally ill). Granted, Buddhists don't believe in and worship a god, but they believe in and worship Buddha.  I doubt that a Buddhist would try to kill you or condemn you to hell for questioning his beliefs, but they are still Beliefs rather than working hypotheses that are expected to be improved upon.

Also (this is nothing to do with it conflicting with science, of course) Buddhism is so *pessimistic*!

Ben Zaiboc