[ExI] mass transit again

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Jan 20 10:02:39 UTC 2011

On Jan 12, 2011, at 1:46 AM, Alfio Puglisi wrote:

> 2011/1/8 spike <spike66 at att.net>
> This is an example of what I mentioned a few days ago about being a way bigger threat to society than is global warming, this bigger threat is feral humans:
>

> http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/07/station.videotaped.incident/index.html?hpt=T2
>

> Last week it was this:
>

> http://www.bradenton.com/2010/12/27/2837235/manatee-sheriff-couple-attacked.html
>

> It is a reason why I think most public transit notions are a dead end.  Individual cars serve as suits of armor, providing a defensive barrier.
>

> One can have a lot of legitimate reasons to prefer cars to public transit, but safety is not really one of them. Car accidents cause about 6 million injuries and 40,000 deaths per year in the US alone. People killed on mass transit is a minuscule fraction of that, even correcting for the number of travelers.

The main problem with most mass transit is that it is less fuel efficient by far than even private cars with only one person in them.  The reason is that a mass transit system must run a substantial amount of time without enough passengers (off peak hours) to remotely feel those heavy energy drinking large vehicles.    This has been studied and that is what the numbers say.   Next solution..

- samantha