[ExI] Rational vs good

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 10:35:37 UTC 2011

On 20 January 2011 05:21, The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well that would depend on whether the cow was a utilitarian or not.

That's a very interesting point. But I would also add that it is by no
means obvious that even for things who are immediately below the same
food chain the "proletarians all over the world, unite!" reflects the
real conflict of interest. In the competition for access to scarce
resources, say, a breeder and its cattle share a common interest
against the neighbouring breeder and its cattle.

So, Terminator-like scenarios seem irrimediably naive. In fact, the
obvious solution to terminators "going rogue" is not a call to arms to
"humans" to fight them, but simply to send better terminators to chase
them down.

And even in the more likely scenario where killing machines are
directly or indirectly operated by other humans (say, the drones in
Afghanistan of today) I sincerely doubt that those affected see it as
an episode of the war between the men and the machines. What is in
place is a battle between men and technologies against other men,
technologies, and possibly even animals (which I believe to
participate to some extent to the insurgents' war effort).

--
Stefano Vaj